[lbo-talk] more on who the TPers are

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 07:17:14 PDT 2010

Doug: 'Another way would be to say that the left has supported state intervention to prevent depressions'.

I remember when state intervention meant getting some money to the poor, not the tax-payer handing over billions to Goldman Sachs or Barclays so that they can pay out those same billions in bonuses to greedy toffs who would happily slaughter every working class American and Brit.

I can't belive that that is what Doug had in mind when he wrote about 'taking on the financial elite' (Wall Street, p 309) or dreamt of a 'radical subversion of money ... the organised refusal to pay debts ... the American masses, energised with revolt, collectively scrawling "non serviam" across their VISA bills' (Wall Street, p 320)

The logic that says that the bankers, and the financial sector, must succeed for the economy to succeed is plain wrong.