[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 11:06:57 PDT 2010

This is really problematic. Certainly Calvin was The Man for Protestant religion in America, and certainly Jefferson and others were reacting to Calvinism, but to simply replace Jefferson with Calvin and Aquinas (whom you all know I adore) seems to me not unlike replacing Copernicus with Ptolemy. The analogy may be too big, but the point is I think about right. And anyway, why not instead of Calvin, Jonathan Edwards?