[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 16 11:58:05 PDT 2010

I'm really foggy on what exactly this book is. Is it on the history of the US only, or is there a larger discussion of the Enlightenment?  Christopher E. Doss Moscow, Russian Federation

----- Original Message ---- From: Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Tue, March 16, 2010 9:06:57 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

This is really problematic. Certainly Calvin was The Man for Protestant religion in America, and certainly Jefferson and others were reacting to Calvinism, but to simply replace Jefferson with Calvin and Aquinas (whom you all know I adore) seems to me not unlike replacing Copernicus with Ptolemy. The analogy may be too big, but the point is I think about right. And anyway, why not instead of Calvin, Jonathan Edwards?