[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:16:12 PDT 2010

I was reassured that my "religious traditions in america" class, where we spent several weeks on pre-, revolutionary, and post-revolutionary religion, disestablishment, and then on into the romantics and transcendentalists and the second great awakening, mostly seemed genuinely appalled at this.

of course, they had no idea who voltaire was (never mind the others), and i learned that in high school history/govt classes, they apparently don't talk any more about "life, liberty, and property" as opposed to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." so no one has any idea of the relationship between locke ane jefferson.

of course, maybe these guys just forgot. but who knows.