[lbo-talk] Irish economy

Wendy Lyon wendy.lyon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 14:35:35 PDT 2010

If you're talking about the *current* trade surplus, which is at a record high, that's mainly due to a collapse in imports over the past year (since nobody's buying anything these days). The export rate generally is deceptive because something like 90% of "Irish" exports actually come from multinationals based here... our GDP is way way above our GNP, unusually so for Europe at least.

Productivity growth has slowed down a lot over the past couple years too, I'm not sure what statistics you're looking at.

A couple good blogs for more info on this stuff: http://www.irishleftreview.org/category/economy/ http://notesonthefront.typepad.com/politicaleconomy/ http://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/ (more discussion-based than the other two)