[lbo-talk] Hurt Locker

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Mar 16 23:19:07 PDT 2010

`...explain the impact of Enlightenment ideas from John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, Voltaire, Charles de Montesquieu, Jean Jacques Rousseau, and Thomas Jefferson on political revolutions from 1750 to the present. Here’s Dunbar’s replacement standard, which passed: explain the impact of the writings of John Locke, Thomas Hobbes, Voltaire, Charles de Montesquieu, Jean Jacques Rousseau, Thomas Aquinas, John Calvin and Sir William Blackstone....''

Remember these can be formed as questions. For example, explain the impact? So the answers are, the first list were essential to the formation of the separations of powers, freedom of speech, assembly and worship, public (that is secular) education, and a secular state. The additions from the second list were opposed or enemies of these reforms. The way to meet the standard is to pit the first against the additions of the second.

In crude terms we can call the first list the Enlightenment and the second additions the historical foundation of the Counter Enlightenment.

By coincidence, I am currently reading Isaiah Berlin's essay, The Counter Enlightenment. I went back to my Strauss hobby, since the neocons and their corruption of political life and history didn't disappear with Bush but have tragically been re-instated by Obama and the Democratic majority.

If you are interested in these subjects at a different level, try this great round table with Jonathan Israel, Steven Nadler and others on the formation of the radical enlightenment, Spinoza, the core of naturalism, the transformation of our concepts of nature and a zillion other interesting topics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v29FVZ0rry8

If you watch this discussion, consider the idea that for say a senior civics class, drawn up under the Texas guidelines, this discussion would meet most of the required standards, and exceed them. You are probably not going to get very far in Baptist backwater of Tumbleweed, TX, but it would be fun in Austin, Houston or Dallas...well until the Klan came with those surreal harmonica sound tracks...like Once Upon a Time in the West.