[lbo-talk] the Kultur Krisis

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Wed Mar 17 21:00:38 PDT 2010

============================= The CP'ers described themselves as "Stalinists" in the 30s, so I don't find Walsh's offhand use of the adjective to describe the party in that period as "obnoxious" and certainly not on a par with Eric's venomous comments. I do agree that after de-Stalinization in the 50s, it no longer made sense to identify party members that way, and they now regarded it as an offensive. Shane Mage and others would not concur, but the fact that the CP's continued to promote popular fronts with liberal parties did not in itself make them "Stalinist".Their internal party regimes were now quite different, and social democratic parties also shared this strategy.