[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 08:51:18 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM, farmelantj at juno.com <farmelantj at juno.com>wrote:

> It should be kept in mind that the
> anti-establishment clause only applied
> to the Federal government. Back then,
> the states could, and many did, have
> their own established churches. For
> example, in Virginia, the Episcopal
> church was the official state church.
> That remained the case, until Jefferson
> and Madison successfully led a campaign,
> strongly supported by the Baptists, to
> disestablish it.

Yes. Baptists used to get beat up by Episcopalians, as I hear it told. It's also the Baptists fighting with the Congregationalists in Mass.

> Massachusetts, at that
> time (and on to the 1820s) had the
> Congregationalists as its official state
> church. Other states also had established
> churches too.

As I understand it, Massachusetts was the last holdout, abandoning the setup in 1833, but I admit I don't know dets, and looking at teh wikipediaz didn't help. It sounds like others here might know more.

I gather from teh wikipediaz<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion#United_States_of_America>that you're thinking of a 1947 case in which the SCOTUS understands the fourteenth amendment as embodying/extending the first amendment. But by this time I don't believe there are any more established churches anywhere. The case Emerson v BoE was about tax funding for private religious schools.