[lbo-talk] the Kultur Krisis

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 18 09:37:41 PDT 2010

On Mar 18, 2010, at 12:15 PM, magcomm wrote:

> It is fine for Walsh to say that artists need "to be oriented toward
> bigger questions, questions of society and history first and
> foremost." But if no one is willing to put up the money for films
> with that orientation...

Walsh knows this. But as he points out money has long been a problem in Hollywood. He's locating the problem more at the level of consciousness - there's just much less in the way of a critical impulse around than there used to be.

Like I said, I'm usually allergic to these implied Golden Age narratives, but I think he's got a point. It's not just big money stuff like the movies. It's fiction too, isn't it?