[lbo-talk] the Kultur Krisis

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 10:02:06 PDT 2010

It is fine for Walsh to say that artists need "to be oriented toward
> bigger questions, questions of society and history first and
> foremost." But if no one is willing to put up the money for films
> with that orientation...

Doug Henwood

Walsh knows this. But as he points out money has long been a problem in Hollywood. He's locating the problem more at the level of consciousness - there's just much less in the way of a critical impulse around than there used to be.

^^^^^ CB: I think most would agree that Big Money doesn't want to have a lot of people thinkiing about bigger questions, questions of society and history.

Also, Big Money hasn't stood pat since the 1950's. They have upped their game ( see: Reaganism). So, maybe this article is noticing the results of Big Money giving even less money to those with critical impulses than they used to in the "Golden Age".