[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 15:03:56 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM, farmelantj at juno.com <farmelantj at juno.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > For
> > > example, in Virginia, the Episcopal
> > > church was the official state church.
> > > That remained the case, until Jefferson
> > > and Madison successfully led a campaign,
> > > strongly supported by the Baptists, to
> > > disestablish it.
> >

> I believe your terminology is slightly anachronistic. It was understood to
> be the Church of England, not the Episcopal Church, although I'm not sure
> when its name changed in relation to its 1786 disestablishment. Whatever
> motivations Jefferson, Madison, and the Baptists had, their campaign
> succeeded because of prevailing anti-English sentiment, not deism or
> secularism.

That might explain Virginia (and I think it is not that simple), but in any case it wouldn't help with Massachusetts or Connecticut.

The Protestant Episcopal Church approved the aforementioned name in 1789, so I don't think using the name is anachronistic. Later "Protestant" was dropped, but in any case they weren't calling themselves the Church of England, any more.

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> Yes. Baptists used to get beat up by Episcopalians, as I hear it told. It's
> > also the Baptists fighting with the Congregationalists in Mass.
> >

> A time-honored tradition, which I am assured continues in the Country Club
> of Virginia, St. Christopher's School, and the other surviving institutions
> of our planter aristocracy.

doubtless.

> > As I understand it, Massachusetts was the last holdout, abandoning the
> > setup
> > in 1833, but I admit I don't know dets, and looking at teh wikipediaz
> > didn't
> > help. It sounds like others here might know more.
> >

> You were looking at the wrong parts of that Wikipedia article. Go here and
> scan down to the table:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_religion#Protestant_colonies

Which does sound a lot like the issue Madison was addressing in the Remonstrance. If I'm seeing what you're pointing to.

> --
> "Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen
> lytlað."

like it.