[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Mar 18 15:50:21 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 6:03 PM, Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com>wrote:

That might explain Virginia (and I think it is not that simple), but in any
> case it wouldn't help with Massachusetts or Connecticut.

Nothing ever is, but I think that's generally acknowledged to have been the primary factor.

The only state to have disestablished its Congregational church around the same time as the five Anglican states disestablished theirs (1776-1790) was New Hampshire (1790); I don't know what was going on there, although others might. I think it would be a mistake, though, to assume that the disestablishments in Connecticut (1818) or Massachusetts (1833) were necessarily part of the same historical trend, although they may have shared some common factors.