[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 19:04:09 PDT 2010

Sometimes when governments sign treaties, they lie. More seriously, I don't know what "being a Christian nation" is supposed to mean. (The Russian Empire understood itself as being the bearer of True Christianity, yet had huge numbers of Muslims and Buddhists inside it with whose religious practices it did not interfere (on the other hand,, a lot of those Buddhists were Cossacks, who had had a noninterference clause in place since they became a warrior class). (I digress.) ) When the US was founded, the overwhelming majority of the population were Christian (Protestants) and obviously imported their values into the new country. The vanguard party at the time was partly Deist and either secularist or religiously neutral within a Christian framework, but I don't think the average soldier in the Continental army thought of himself as carrying the banner of Deism and secularism. "Separation of Church and state" was meant to keep one form of Christianity

from dominating all the others, not an attack on Christianity.

----- Original Message ---- From: Mr. X <from_alamut at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Fri, March 19, 2010 1:42:00 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

One of the first treaties was the Treaty of tripoli which stated definitively to a muslim government that the USA was not a Christian Nation.   peace   Jim Davis Ozark Bioregion, USA, Planet Gaia  check out my books at: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=141735