[lbo-talk] the Kultur Krisis

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 05:16:30 PDT 2010

Michael P:

> So I have the same formal question here. Is it comedy that's a wasteland
> or just stand-up? Because off hand I'd have to say that Jon Stewart and
> Steven Colbert four nights a week seems like the golden age of political
> and social comedy in my 50 year old life. I can't think of anything
> earlier that had anywhere near as large and as central a place in the
> national culture.

As clever as Stewart, Colbert, and their staffs are, they are essentially release valves for when the system overheats or appears out of control. They are as wedded to the corporate state as any paid functionary, which makes sense, since they make nice livings from it. Stewart's apology for calling Truman a war criminal is but one example. Their early love of Obamamania is another.

In my view, satire and parody are in the lowest water I can remember.

> BTW, I've followed your recent peregrinations on the stand up circuit, and
> you have all my encouragement, and I look forward to seeing your new
> shticks. Bio-comedy sounds like a great new form if you can pull it, esp.
> bio-comedy with heft. It sounds similar to bio-documentary, which has
> also generated same rare great stuff.
>
> But to be fair to the lazybones who suck around you, if you're going to
> create something new, of course it's going to be foreign to all the
> regulars who are now in the game, both performers and regular customers.
> And they will be your worst audience -- the former has their turf, the
> latter has their expectations which they spent good money to satisfy.

True. I've already faced this hostility, and expect much more. But I need these open stages to polish what will become a one man show. My life has lead to this moment. All signs are evident.

Dennis