[lbo-talk] Engineers and Republican/libertarian bent

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 08:01:30 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 4:13 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bryan Atinsky wrote:
>
> Hi all, I know of studies that relate engineering to extremist mindsets,
>> but is there any statistics about the number/percentage of engineers voting
>> republican/libertarian?
>>
>> Or is this an old-wives tale?
>>

> http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~ngross/lounsbery_9-25.pdf
>
> See the table on p. 33. Engineering/comp. sci. professors are the most
> Republican / least Democratic of all the disciplines (except business).
>
> Keep in mind this is a sample of engineering professors, not engineers. I
> would guess private-sector engineers would be even more conservative.

This is not about voting or party affiliation, but it turns out to be a lot about engineers and their approach to the universe. I'm sorry I've posted this before in other contexts, but it seems related to the question Bryan's asking. I want to say that there's also a strong correlation between engineers and creationism/intelligent design, but I'd have to do some kicking around to remember why I think there's anything to it (rather than it just sort of making sense in theory).

http://www.cognitionandculture.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:how-i-found-glaring-errors-in-einsteins-calculations&catid=57:pascals-blog&Itemid=34