[lbo-talk] Engineers and Republican/libertarian bent

farmelantj at juno.com farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Mar 19 09:28:08 PDT 2010

The father of modern "creation science," Henry M. Morris was a PhD in hydraulics engineering. I remember reading, many years ago, he book that he had edited. I recall being struck by my observation that almost all of the "creation scientists" who had contributed to the book held engineering degrees. One would have thought people writing on issues pertaining to biology or geology would have had degrees in those subjects.

Jim Farmelant http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant

---------- Original Message ---------- From: Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Engineers and Republican/libertarian bent Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 10:01:30 -0500

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 4:13 PM, SA <s11131978 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bryan Atinsky wrote:
>
> Hi all, I know of studies that relate engineering to extremist mindsets,
>> but is there any statistics about the number/percentage of engineers voting
>> republican/libertarian?
>>
>> Or is this an old-wives tale?
>>

> http://www.wjh.harvard.edu/~ngross/lounsbery_9-25.pdf
>
> See the table on p. 33. Engineering/comp. sci. professors are the most
> Republican / least Democratic of all the disciplines (except business).
>
> Keep in mind this is a sample of engineering professors, not engineers. I
> would guess private-sector engineers would be even more conservative.

This is not about voting or party affiliation, but it turns out to be a lot about engineers and their approach to the universe. I'm sorry I've posted this before in other contexts, but it seems related to the question Bryan's asking. I want to say that there's also a strong correlation between engineers and creationism/intelligent design, but I'd have to do some kicking around to remember why I think there's anything to it (rather than it just sort of making sense in theory).

http://www.cognitionandculture.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:how-i-found-glaring-errors-in-einsteins-calculations&catid=57:pascals-blog&Itemid=34