[lbo-talk] Engineers and Republican/libertarian bent

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 19 10:14:41 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:00 AM, <SergioL652 at aol.com> wrote:
> I guess I am an aberration

I don't think you are an aberration; in SA's study, compsci/engineering profs just have more of a balance between self-identified Democrats and Republicans. (And more Independents than in all the other departments.)

Party affiliation, comp sci/engineering:

28.0 Democrat

48.7 Independent

23.3 Republican

Similar for political orientation.

Political orientation, comp sci/engineering:

10.7 Liberal

78.0 Moderate

11.3 Conservative

(Would many on this forum enjoy labelling themselves as a "liberal"? The term is usually an epithet. "Fire breathing liberal" sounds like a paradox or a joke or something.)

My informal impression is that Republicans often show public contempt for humanities and the abstract sciences. But they're much friendlier to conventional engineering. (I think this might've been touched on in the paper, but I haven't read it closely enough yet.) And I don't know whether compsci really fits in with more conventional engineering.

All the best, Tayssir

PS -- Almost offtopic, people might like to watch the amazing old BBC series "Connections", which talked about scientific discoveries in a different way than usually taught: http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesBurkeWeb#p/p