[lbo-talk] why liberal Dems are absolutely useless or worse

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 19 11:13:35 PDT 2010

On Mar 19, 2010, at 10:34 AM, SA wrote:

> Just to clarify, if the bill passes 30 million people get health
> insurance, if it fails, they don't. You seem to think it's obvious
> that for an earnest liberal killing the bill is the best thing to
> do, but that doesn't seem so clear to me.

One of the reasons the right has been so successful is that they don't mind driving the train off the rails, or threatening to. I admire their maximalism in defense of their principles. Liberal Democrats lack the same instinct. So, yeah, kill the fucking thing. It sucks.

I realize there are other reasons for the right's success - e.g., the power of business in American society and a long history of ideological hegemony for The Market. And reasons for the left's failure - in this case, the craven behavior of the unions, who just said "Yes, sir" to whatever the admin told them. With their resources, if they'd organized a popular campaign, it would have transformed the landscape.

Doug