[lbo-talk] teacher union bashing

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 11:19:34 PDT 2010

I recently talked to several liberal Democrats who engaged in teacher union bashing, expressing variants of the opinion that public schools are full of bad teachers protected by powerful unions. This has traditionally been a Repug trope, so hearing this from the liberal quarters comes as a bit of a surprise. Any thoughts? Wojtek

^^^^

CB: Isn't this part of the result of 30 years of successful, Reaganist liberal bashing ? And the core of the liberal bashing was to force Democrats to weaken their ties to unions. Dem Presidents used to attend Labor Day parades I believe; no more. Much privatization, which is essentially union busting, has been by Democratic officeholders. This is part of "neo-liberalism" which is really "ill-liberalism" or "paleo-liberalism redux."

My impression is that most Democrats are scared to cop to being liberal these days. Are these anti-union Democrats calling themselves liberals ? Even most pro-union Democrats don't call themselves "liberal" .

40 years ago there were liberal Republicans. Nelson Rockefeller was one, supposedly. It took a lot of liberal Republican votes to pass the Civil Rights bills.