[lbo-talk] why liberal Dems are absolutely useless or worse

Somebody Somebody philos_case at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 12:33:45 PDT 2010

Doug: Interesting thing I didn't know: though the bill says that inscos shouldn't drop people because they got sick, there is no enforcement mechanism if they do. And 30 million people will be *forced* to buy this crap.

Somebody: There's a weird libertarianism which has infected the left on this issue. Is forcing people to buy health insurance, with the assistance of significant subsidies, worse than the status quo? Only if you buy into the libertarian notion that Americans should be free to choose or not choose to buy and sell products and services as they see fit.

Of course, I'm also in favor of increased consumption taxes on junk food, so I have no truck with libertarianism. Both the health care bill and a tax on Big Macs would produce an improvement in the overall health of the population.