[lbo-talk] green consumers: thieving pricks

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Fri Mar 19 13:05:14 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

> On Mar 19, 2010, at 11:23 AM, Miles Jackson wrote:
>
>> I'm making no heroic assumptions; I'm just passing along what every
>> statistics student learns in their first course on probability. If
>> you randomly assign people to two groups, the potential confounds are
>> also randomly distributed across the groups, and it is not plausible
>> to argue that the groups systematically differ. Really, it's
>> Probability 101. Random assignment to experimental condition is a
>> very powerful and rigorous technique to control confounds here
>> (including any potential confounds you and I are not clever enough to
>> imagine!).
>
> You could argue that the group sizes are too small for true randomness
> to prevail. What's the thinking on this in psychology? How big a group
> do you need?
>
> Doug
There is no strict cutoff. About 25 to 30 per experimental condition is typically enough to randomly distribute potential confounds. Dinky group sizes (say, 10 per condition) could be a problem. It's like flipping a coin; it's easier to get an unequal distribution of heads and tails with a smaller number of flips.

Miles