[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 19 16:15:31 PDT 2010

How come this Protestant Reformation thing didn't happen in Italy and France?

Ya know, in the Middle Ages the Church stood outside of the feudal system and coexisted with it very uneasily. Witness the constant struggles between the Church and various kings. I'm also not clear on what means of production the Church controlled.

----- Original Message ---- From: Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Sat, March 20, 2010 12:22:34 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:30:38 -0400 c b <cb31450 at gmail.com> wrote:

> CB: In Europe, the Protestant Reformation represents/reflects the
> bourgeois rising against the feudal order, of which the Catholic
> church is a ruling class institution , i.e. an established church.

Somebody should make a Marxism Lego set, with pieces labelled Feudalism, Capitalism, Aristocracy, Bourgeoisie, Working Class, Base, Superstructure, Youth, Women, Intelligentsia, etc. We could all build imaginative structures out of these, take pictures of them, and post the pictures on our Facebook pages. It would be profoundly dialectical, and thoroughly materialist -- there's nothing quite so concrete as a Lego block, especially when you step on one in your bare feet, trying to sneak quietly from your kid's bedroom after reading him to sleep.