[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Mar 19 17:02:53 PDT 2010

Roughly speaking, the Reformation (= ending of Catholic worship, institution of other forms) succeeded where feudal lords and monarchs did not have control of ecclesiastical institutions; it aided their acquisition of that control (e.g., Germany, England). It failed where feudal lords and monarchies had already successfully established that control (e.g., France and Italy).

You're right about the church's attempt to free itself from the feudal order. Its principal strategy for doing so is not without repercussions today: <www.counterpunch.org/estabrook0420.html>.