[lbo-talk] Tightening the screws...

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:15:34 PDT 2010

I have neither training in pedagogy nor extensive experience teaching, but I think merely complaining about the punitive and pedagogically unsound nature of the proposed reforms kind of misses a couple important points:

--US students' performance in math ranks considerably behind that of a large number of other countries.

--Ditto for performance in either monolingual language in terms of knowledge of second or third languages.

I would think to try somehow to look at what is different about educational system, social structure, or psychology or pedgagy to produce these wildly different results. I do not have the impression that youth from the countries where math performance outranks that in the US are any less enamored of video games or the teaching staff necessarily more brilliant, but I would like to know where the differences in performace come from.

DoreneC Seattle WA