[lbo-talk] Susie Bright reviews the Runaways movie

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Mar 21 18:38:00 PDT 2010

http://susiebright.blogs.com/susie_brights_journal_/2010/03/my-little-runaway.html

I'll tell you why dyke rock'n'roll legacy is important. Because in order to stand up to the shitheads who tried to keep young women out of EVERYTHING, you had to NOT GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THEIR SEXUAL APPROVAL.

You had to NOT want to get married and have babies with a nice boy. You had to be FINISHED with "virtue."

We did not care if the guys called us "sluts" and accused us of "wishing you had a dick." We were beyond wishing; we did whatever we wanted.

A lesbian in the '70s was thought of as someone involved in mainstream feminist politics or the folky Back-to-the-Land milieu. Most girls I knew in the punk scene couldn't relate to that, or thought of it as their mother's trip. We were urban, we were not into politics as usual. Everyone called themselves "bi," although that was really code for: don't tell me what to do.