[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 02:58:24 PDT 2010

The frame is also created by the fact that we are not disembodied angels, but rather see through the medium of senses and judge through the medium of a neural system and in particular points in space and time, which is why I cannot see radio waves, I feel pain*, and I cannot be present during the Conquest of Gaul. What we see and judge are not reality itself. This has been known to everyone for several thousand years, the sole exceptions I can think of being Nietzsche and phenomenologists and subjective idealists (and the latter two are using "reality itself" in a different sense than Ted). Good luck finding a physicist who thinks otherwise.

----- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, March 22, 2010 6:37:14 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

On Mar 21, 2010, at 10:14 PM, Ted Winslow wrote:

> If my "seeing and judging" is determined by an inescapable "epistemological frame," then what I see and judge isn't reality as it is in itself which, on this assumption about my "seeing and judging," is unknowable.

That frame is created by our embeddeness in society, discourse, etc. It's not some random personal thing.