[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Ted Winslow egwinslow at rogers.com
Mon Mar 22 04:56:12 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:

>> If my "seeing and judging" is determined by an inescapable
>> "epistemological frame," then what I see and judge isn't reality as
>> it is in itself which, on this assumption about my "seeing and
>> judging," is unknowable.
>
> That frame is created by our embeddeness in society, discourse, etc.
> It's not some random personal thing.
>
>> So any knowledge claim that goes beyond my own existence now, e.g a
>> knowledge claim about my own existence five minutes ago, is
>> inconsistent with this assumption. My "seeing and judging" of this
>> is necessarily determined by this "epistemological frame" and hence
>> can't be knowledge of the reality of my existence five minutes ago.
>
> Why do you think this frame is so unstable?

Your "seeing and judging" of "our embeddedness in society" is determined by an inescapable "epistemological frame," so to claim to know that "that frame is created by our embeddedness in society, discourse, etc." is self-contradictory.

Similarly, your "seeing and judging" of the "epistemological frame" governing your "seeing and judging" in the past is determined by an inescapable "epistemological frame," so to claim to know that "this frame" is stable or unstable is also self-contradictory.

Ted