[lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 22 10:10:26 PDT 2010

It's only contradictory if you believe that "I know x" means "I absolutely cannot be mistaken that x." Ted is trying to use "know" in the sense of the word that only makes sense in math. A common mistake for 1st-year philosophy students.

----- Original Message ---- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Mon, March 22, 2010 6:03:26 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Texas school board drops Jefferson, adds Calvin

On Mar 22, 2010, at 7:56 AM, Ted Winslow wrote:

> Your "seeing and judging" of "our embeddedness in society" is determined by an inescapable "epistemological frame," so to claim to know that "that frame is created by our embeddedness in society, discourse, etc." is self-contradictory.

How is this profoundly different from the Freudian concept of the unconscious?