[lbo-talk] Cloward-Piven strategy for single payer?

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Mon Mar 22 13:03:17 PDT 2010

Very good point. Actually Cloward and Piven and NWRO succeeded like gangbusters, as far as expanding participation goes. Although the benefits levels were allowed to erode with inflation from the 70s onward, the only major whack at the program was not until the Clinton reform (sic) of 1996.

The new bill will expand Medicaid, making the state's fiscal problems more acute. This is a perfect political opening for renewing fiscal relief and increasing the Federal share of Medicaid indefinitely.