[lbo-talk] CNN HCR poll

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Mar 23 08:08:32 PDT 2010

On Mar 22, 2010, at 11:23 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> Doug Henwood wrote:
>> CNN has a new poll on health care reform, taken over the weekend:
>> <http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/22/rel5a.pdf>
>> Results:
>> 39% Favor
>> 43% Oppose, too liberal
>> 13% Oppose, not liberal enough
>> 5% No opinion
>> So, the favor + not liberal enough = 52%.
>
> With a nod to Carrol: I'm stoked by this poll. 13% of the U. S.
> population is an ample pool for a nascent political movement. (--
> which is what scares me a bit about the teabaggers.)

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the 39% that favors would either favor a more "liberal" version, or think that the actual bill is more "liberal" than it really is. So we're probably working with something like 20% or more - which is what I usually assume is the baseline constituency for a social dem agenda in the U.S.

Doug