[lbo-talk] the cost of the humanities

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Mar 23 11:35:23 PDT 2010

Doug Henwood wrote:
> [This is by a college classmate of mine who teaches at UCLA.]
>
> Chronicle of Higher Education - March 21, 2010
>
> The Humanities Really Do Produce a Profit
> By Robert N. Watson

I'm astounded that Yudof is so poorly informed about which departments actually generate revenue for the university. I work at a community college, and it's common knowledge among both faculty and administrators that the liberal arts are the cash cows that allow us to run expensive programs like nursing and CADD.

Miles