[lbo-talk] Cloward-Piven strategy for single payer?

Max Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Tue Mar 23 14:11:22 PDT 2010

Medicaid spending has burgeoned through the ages of Reagan, Clinton, and both Bushes, not to mention the reigns of a multitude of retrograde state government officials, who influence the size of each state's Medicaid program.

The threat to entitlements is interesting because any big compromise on entitlements would have to include tax increases, and the GOP has worked themselves into such a krazy korner that none of them can possibly endorse a tax increase under any circumstances. Moreover, there are also their hypocritical screams about cuts to Medicare -- the other half of the entitlement fix scissors. Unless the Dems build a veto-proof, Rubinoid, pro-entitlement cut majority, it's hard to see how it happens. (For anyone who just got here from Mars, I'm dead set against any such policy.)