[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 08:21:30 PDT 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
>
> "Assessing the Bible in the light of literal interpretation as advocated
> by
> >> fundamentalist Christians, rather than inspiration Parenti finds a
> deeply
> >> troubling narrative ..."
> >>

> > What, are we supposed to "respect" that bag of nonsense?
> >

> For starters, you should not make it a point to read the Bible (or anything
> else) from the most obtuse perspective possible.

First, I think these efforts are a waste of time and a major distraction from what folks on the left might better be doing. Second, while you're right, Joseph, my sense is that Parenti - and I'm not saying he did a good job or worthwhile thing here - is responding to the obtuseness of many American proponents' readings as much as anything else. Third, there are believers who don't read the bible obtusely and perhaps they might be the better audience to engage. Fourth, this whole preoccupation with this stuff - pro or con - largely make me shake my head.