[lbo-talk] Cloward-Piven strategy for single payer?

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Wed Mar 24 08:41:00 PDT 2010

HI Max,

My lawyer friend who has a Medicaid Defense Fund tried to stop the cuts to MediCal in the federal courts. He had been successful with stopping cuts to MediCal pharmacies for reimbursement for MediCal drug purchases but he lost on trying to sustain every cut to services - dental, prosthetic, mental health, chiropractic, and some other services. His position was that the Stimulus Package language stated that states that received Stimulus funds could not cut existing services which I thought was a good grounds to stop Schwartzenegger and our awful lot of Democrats but the courts would not support his argument so people on MediCal LOST ALL those benefits. When the federal government says that it protects eligibility that is a portion of what needs to be protected and I'm not so sure they are effective with back room cuts in this department. But CA for instance has cut drugs off their formulary and durable medical goods, etc. and they CAN do that.

best, Marta