[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 24 10:31:45 PDT 2010

First of all, the bible (by which apparently both the Hebrew bible and the New Testament collection are meant) is not a single literary work but a vast library of materials, written in quite different styles and to quite different purposes over half a millennium, and based on earlier traditions. This material can hardly be read 'naively' (as apparently Parenti does) but with the same critical acuity that we bring to the other 2,500-year-old books that we read. (How many...oh, never mind.)

Our hermeneutic took a strange turn with the rise of capitalism. The interaction was surely complex. An aspect of the process is set out in a brilliant recent book by James Simpson, Burning to Read: English Fundamentalism and Its Reformation Opponents (Harvard UP 2007) - “a landmark in the study of fundamentalism. In James Simpson's radical reassessment, the Protestant Reformation appears not as a parent of the Enlightenment, but rather as a progenitor of the extreme and intolerant literalism that has seized every major world religion today” (Amitav Ghosh).

Secondly, the library is a precipitate of a movement, not the other way around. I think e.g. it would astonish members of the Christan communities in the Roman empire at the end of the first century of the Common Era that a collection of some two dozen of their internal memoranda, exhortations, memoirs, and even bits of historical speculation (in a fashionable but highly artificial style) would more than a millennium later be seen as constitutive of their movement. --CGE

(PS - Today is the 30th anniversary of the murder of Abp. Oscar Romero of San Salvador, shot while saying mass by a CIA assassin trained at the US Army's School of the Americas; paid for by our tax money, the SOA trains Latin American officers and boast of defeating “liberation theology” as represented by people such as Romero.)