[lbo-talk] fiscal crisis update

Alan Rudy alan.rudy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 10:53:09 PDT 2010

Don't I wish. Jim's intro to the second edition represents an auto-critique and provides a quick-and-dirty assessment of the first 20 years after FCS but I don't know of any substantive attempts to assess fiscal crisis after neoliberalization/globalization. When I had grad students read it in the early 2000's, though, they were stunned at its ongoing utility... what struck me at the time was a sense that the dynamics between primary, secondary and tertiary sectors had shifted rather dramatically and that, perhaps most importantly, the characteristics of social movements and their relationship to the state was quite different. FCS is clearly written in a manner that more or less assumes that domestic conditions and politics largely determines domestic policy and, on top of the other issues, I'm not sure this still holds in the manner it did in 1974.

I found Max's book as a pdf on the web through EPI. Did you know about that, Max?