[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 11:07:22 PDT 2010

Ya know, what really annoys me most about these guys (I'm thinking of Dawkins and Hitchens here; I haven't looked at any of P's stuff so I can't comment), beyond their arrogance and humorlessness (when Twain did this, he was FUNNY), is the total lack of knowledge of intellectual history. Dawkins seems to think that showing that the story of Noah's Ark cannot be literally true is really clever and novel, like no one in the past 2000+ years had ever done the math and figured it out.

He's probably completely unaware that the Catechism of the Catholic Church says, in black and white, that Genesis is allegorical and even spells out in what sense. That would require intellectual honesty and research (oh no!).

I don't know what it is about religion that lets any dumbass think he gets to comment on it. The only people who have any business claiming to speak authoritatively about the Bible are Biblical scholars and scholars of ancient history, i.e., people who can actually read the text in the languages in which it was written and know something about the societies from which it emerged. Other people should just shut up.

----- Original Message ---- From: Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com>

For starters, you should not make it a point to read the Bible (or anything else) from the most obtuse perspective possible.