[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 24 12:06:07 PDT 2010

Doug, the catechism you remember spending your childhood memorizing (could it have been the 1885 Baltimore Catechism?) is not the text Chris is referring to, a quite different (and much larger) document produced a decade ago.

The catechism form became popular for obvious reasons among the competing creeds of the Reformation - so popular in fact that Engels' original draft of the Communist Manifesto was in catechetical (Q & A) form (and he referred to it as such). In the 20th c. Joyce and Ted Hughes used the form literarily.

The 20th century saw a spate of Catholic catechisms, the best probably the so-called Dutch Catechism of 1967. --CGE