[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Voyou voyou1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:06:20 PDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-03-24 at 16:17 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
> On Mar 24, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Voyou wrote:
> > but that they seem so boring. It's obvious that, interpreted literally
> > and evaluated by the norms we use to evaluate most truth claims, the
> > bible is false (even biblical literalists don't deny this!)
>
> Do you live in the USA?

I do, yes, though I live in Berkeley, so I don't encounter many fundamentalist Christians in my day-to-day life.

> According to Gallup, 30-40% of Americans believe in Biblical
> inerrancy, one of the touchstones of fundie belief:

Right, but biblical inerrancy comes along with the belief that the bible is special; I don't think literalists think that the claims made in the bible wouldn't be ridiculous _if they were made anywhere but the bible_. So pointing out the apparent falseness of stuff in the bible is pushing at an open door.

In any case, I'm not convinced that people taking the bible literally is exactly the problem; that is to say, it's not that people read something in the bible, believe it to be literally and infallibly true, and base their behavior on this belief. How many fundamentalist homophobes could actually give you chapter and verse on where the bible condemns homosexuality, for example? Rather, the belief in biblical inerrancy functions as a kind of imaginary guarantee for things that people believe for other reasons; they think homosexuality is evil, and they think that they have the infallible word of god on their side, without any direct reference to the text of the bible.

I'm not sure how to dislodge this mindset, but I don't think taking particular claims made in the bible and attempting to show that they don't meet contemporary standards of plausibility or evidence is going to do that.

-- Voyou <voyou1 at gmail.com> <http://blog.voyou.org/>