[lbo-talk] the cost of the humanities

Jeffrey Fisher jeff.jfisher at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 16:19:59 PDT 2010

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:18 PM, Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> We joke about this where I work: when we're asked about our "equipment
> needs" in the liberal arts, it's hard for us to think of anything big. We
> need more dry-erase markers!

Heh. Exactly. And yet grant money comes in for us to invest in "engaged pedagogies in the classroom," and they beg us to adopt new "teaching strategies" that "engage" the students, and that use technology that will cost real money.

And I just keep thinking, the most engaging thing I've found is to make them actually responsible for reading what I'm asking them to read. When they do that, and take it seriously, they often find that it's interesting. And then they're engaged. And all it took was that $20 book.