[lbo-talk] Americans and the bible

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 17:47:48 PDT 2010

75% of threads are people talking past each other, but I think in the case of religion ones it's more like 95%. For instance, when I say "theism" I'm usually thinking of highly sophisticated bodies of doctrine and the ontological argument(s) and Five Ways and so forth, whereas I suspect other people think I'm talking about evangelist idiocy and the twaddle that is taught in Sunday School. Or, when I say "God," I mean "the first cause" or "the ground of Being," not "guy in the sky with superpowers" (i.e., the pseudo-god of the Fundamentalists).

----- Original Message ---- From: Jeffrey Fisher <jeff.jfisher at gmail.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Thu, March 25, 2010 2:15:39 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Americans and the bible

yeah, it's true, we've had the discussion before. sometimes i'm tired of it, and sometimes it feels fresher than that.