[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Mar 24 17:49:04 PDT 2010

I think some fairly dogmatic/mechanical historical materialism is in order in respect to the Christian Right. They are not rightist because they are funamentalists; they are fundamentalists because that ideology offers an effective form for political opinions otherwise grounded. Their religious expresdsionof it is merel7 epiphenomenal. Hence a critique of their religious beliefs does not touch on, is wholly irrelevant to, any critique of or opposition to their reactionary politics.

Carrol