[lbo-talk] Constant Capital and the Crisis in Contemporary Capitalism

Michael Perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Mar 25 10:57:41 PDT 2010

I appreciate Wojtek's reference to Brenner. His work on the transition to capitalism paralleled my own work on primitive accumulation. The only time I met him was at a small meeting where we briefly exchanged words about mutual interests. When his work on Turbulence came out, Doug suggested that it looks like much of it was lifted from my own writings. I called Brenner and he explained to me exactly where his ideas came from. Although our sources were different, our conclusions were more or less parallel. The major difference from my approach is that his work emphasized nations as competitors and more or less limited subject matter to the industrial sector. However, you are correct in saying that there are strong similarities. Relative labor productivity falls because corporations resist replacing fixed capital. Incidentally, I'm convinced that the inattention to replacement investment is a major weakness in economic thinking.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu michaelperelman.wordpress.com