[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Mar 25 11:26:24 PDT 2010

Note: I did introduce my arguments (in an earlier post) as a "dogmatic/mechanical" application of historical materialism. That was partly facetious and partly serious: Clearly nuance is called for, but I think the nuance should, as it were, be found 'inside' the historical perspective I offered. Hence we shoudl in fact _Begin_ with the assumption that fundamentalism had no effect on politics, then complicate that assumption. Anfter all, the effect of fundamentalism for _some_ people is to move them in a left direction in their politics. Early 196h-c working-class radicalsim was most apt, I believe, to be found among workers attached to the less 'sophisticated' dissent rather than to the mainline Church of England.

In general, one _never_ finds any particular religious belief being attached to only one and the same set of social attitudes. The same religious belief leads to different social attitudes in different persons. Cyanide does not lead to different physical effects in different organisms. Hence on can claim truthfully, "Cyanide kills." But one cannot say with the same simplicity, "*Fundamentalism creates reactionary politics." It really is not clear at all _why_ under present conditons there is so much overlap (overlap only, not identity) btween fundamentalism and reaction, and we have to look for the sources of that overlap in the actual material conditons of those attracted to fundamentalism.

Now. Fundamentalism and rightist extremism (and their overlap) have been with us for some time, but Teabaggers and physical assaults on Congress members are new. Why now? (Remember in what follows the 'unifying' effect of being in the same palce with others once a week.) What we are looking for, to begin with, is not a or the cause but the _trigger_. I think it is Obama's blackness.

NOw, I want to argue that, subjectively, it is possible for a person to be both anti-racist AND strongly racist at the same time. I have no doubt that many of the teabaggers are consciously anti-racist and that they would (and do?) welcome Blacks into their fellowship. But I want to suggest that they _also_ are mostly whites who still, at some level of their being, are citizens in that nation the birth of which was celehgrated in _Birth of a Nation__. That is the Nation which is identified with the Flag that must not be burnt -- the over-reaction to flag-burning is part of the national consciousness of this sector of conservative thought. (I can't remember any of the details of Ollman's analysis here, but I found it persuasive.) That worship of the flag, that super-nationalism, is the opening wedge for the potential fascism which Chip Berlet fears. (Potential, not actuality, as I understand his analysis.) And the President interprets the meaning of that Flag, that Nation -- and since it is (as in the Movie) a white nation, it must be intgerpreted by a White President. The election of a Black President simply sent many of them over the edge from passive opinion to activism.

Obama is NOT the cause; but he is the trigger. The causes are not primarily racist, but the element of racism buried deep in them makes Obama a trigger.

Carrol