[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Mar 25 12:11:07 PDT 2010

On Mar 25, 2010, at 7:38 AM, Chris Doss wrote:

> So, which is the real meaning, "a voice crying in the wilderness,
> prepare me the way of the lord" or "a voice crying, in the
> wilderness prepare me the way of the lord"?

Neither, of course. The question has been begged, because the "problem" obsessing Doss is whether or not "Isaiah" was referring to John the Baptizer and his cousin Ye'shua (Jesus), and so it assumes beforehand the whole stupid Christian "christology." Since Isaiah 40 is written in the present tense (and imperative mode), its reference has to be to contemporary (7th century bce) events and prospects. The essentials of the passage, in the JPS translation of Tanakh (ie., by translators steeped in Hebrew and with zero concern for "christological" exegesis):

"...speak tenderly to Jerusalem and declare to her that her term of service is over, that her iniquity is expiated; for she has received at the hand of the LORD double for all her sins. A voice rings out: 'Clear in the desert a road for the LORD! Level in the wilderness a highway for our God!...' "

(Incidentally, the "authorized" version, as quoted by Handel in the text of "Messiah", is "the voice *of him* that crieth in the wilderness 'Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God!' " Thus, the Jacobite revisers of Tyndale wanted to be explicit about John, even to the extent of inserting "of him" (not "of Him") into a text where the unnamed "voice" ringing in "Isaiah's" head is plainly that of his "God." That is why Handel put the musical emphasis on "him."

Shane Mage

"L'après-vie, c'est une auberge espagnole. L'on n'y trouve que ce qu'on a apporté."

Bardo Thodol