[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

c b cb31450 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 12:42:02 PDT 2010

But what is Parenti trying to do? His book will not change the mind of any fundamentalists, nor do I think it will help any leftist t o reain a leftists. All I can see it doing is providing entetainment for atheists on the left. The world is not changed by its presence, nor does it flow as far as I can see from this thread from the activity of changing the world.

So I guess that Parenti, as exhbited in a selection of remarks from this thread, is in fact an aggressive idealist, proceding on the assumption that ideas have a history of their own independent of social actuality.

My eyes are getting really bad, and I have not attempted to read the thread completely or read more than scattered pieces carefully.

Carrol

^^^^^^^^ CB: In my contact with Parenti over the years, he's been as connected to struggles to change the world and social actuality as people here and most college profs, including Carrol. As book writers go, I'd say he's more involved in practical critical activity than most.