[lbo-talk] M. Parenti joins the New Atheists?

SA s11131978 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 13:04:51 PDT 2010

Dennis Claxton wrote:

>>> It makes white people more conservative than they should be.
>>
>> What's the evidence of that?
>

> Here's something:
>
> http://www.anth.uconn.edu/degree_programs/ecolevo/godscategories.pdf
>
> God's categories: The effect of religiosity on children's teleological
> and essentialist beliefs about categories

As far as I can tell this paper is claiming an association, not causation. And we were talking about the effect on conservatism, not essentialism, strictly speaking.

But for the sake of argument, let's say this paper found that fundamentalist beliefs "cause" conservatism among Israelis. Why doesn't it work for American blacks? I mean, it really fails spectacularly for American blacks. For blacks, the more religious they are, the less likely they are to vote Republican.

SA