[lbo-talk] more on Frum

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 26 06:13:23 PDT 2010

[From Mike Allen. Interesting. When the right was on the rise, the intellectuals led the moneymen. Now it's reversed.]

Good Friday morning. EXCLUSIVE: David Frum told us last night that he believes his axing from his $100,000-a-year 'resident scholar' gig at the conservative American Enterprise Institute was related to DONOR PRESSURE following his viral blog post arguing Republicans had suffered a devastating, generational 'Waterloo' in their loss to President Obama on health reform. 'There's a lot about the story I don't really understand,' Frum said from his iPhone. 'But the core of the story is the kind of economic pressure that intellectual conservatives are under. AEI represents the best of the conservative world. [AEI President] Arthur Brooks is a brilliant man, and his books are fantastic. But the elite isn't leading anymore. It's trapped. Partly because of the desperate economic situation in the country, what were once the leading institutions of conservatism are constrained. I think Arthur took no pleasure in this. I think he was embarrassed. I think he would have avoided it if he po ssibly could, but he couldn't.' We talked at length afterward with an AEI official in an effort to get a specific response to Frum's charge. But the group apparently doesn't want to get into a back-and-forth with Frum, and stuck to this earlier statement from Brooks, blaming Frum for his departure: 'David Frum is an original thinker and a friend to many at AEI. We are pleased to have welcomed him as a colleague for seven years, and his decision to leave in no way diminishes our respect for him.' Ask other AEI scholars how they felt about David's mail and packages piling up outside his office. Frum, who will be 50 in June, had been on the payroll since leaving the Bush White House in 2003. He acknowledges he was very seldom at the office. But he maintains he developed and spread conservative ideas -- AEI's stated goal -- with the 300,000 words a year that he writes for his blog, FrumForum.com; his weekly columns for CNN.com, The Week, and the National Post of Canada; his biweekly offerings for TIME and Ameri can Public Media's 'Marketplace'; and his three TV and three radio appearances in a typical week. He also landed Canadian Finance Minister James Flaherty for an AEI retreat last month that included donors. Frum tells us that regardless of his dismay with the party, he'll stay registered GOP.