[lbo-talk] purge on the right

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 26 13:49:29 PDT 2010

At 01:34 PM 3/26/2010, Michael Pollak wrote:

>>They all hate the left.
>
>That does make sense when you put that way.

It does make sense. You can't even get close to talking like a leftist it seems. A few weeks ago I saw Ricky Gervais interviewed by Lesley Stahl on 60 Minutes. He told Stahl he wasn't proud of being rich because he thought he was overpaid. She said "you could give it all away" and that was pretty much the end of that. Stahl used it to go all Dr. Phil on him.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/11/60minutes/main5967852_page3.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

He and his girlfriend now live in a $6 million house in London with a pool in the basement; they also live in a luxury apartment in New York. But the poor boy from the housing project is having a hard time counting his money.

"'Cause I'm not proud of being rich," Gervais said.

Asked what's wrong with being rich, Gervais told Stahl, "There's nothing wrong with being rich. But, it's nothing to be proud of. I was lucky. Why am I paid a million times a nurse's wages? 'Cause I came up with a formula that sold."

"Well, you could give it all away," Stahl said.

"Well, I could give it all away," Gervais said. But he added, "I like the freedom it gives me, and I like having, you know, a nice house."

"But you're ashamed of it," Stahl remarked.

"I'm not ashamed of it. I'm not ashamed of it," he insisted.

"You seem to be," Stahl pointed out.

"Because there are people who work as hard as me, and they haven't got that 'cause they don't do what I do. They don't do show business. They build walls," he replied.

"There's something about your family involved here, something about your father," Stahl noticed.

"Well, it was the way I was brought up, yeah. I mean, I was poor. I didn't even know I was poor till I went to university and everyone spoke differently to me and spoke like the queen. And poverty is bad, poverty is horrible. But, when I did 'The Office' I was so proud. Then the check came in, and it ruined it a bit, 'cause I didn't want people to think that that was mixed in with my pride, I suppose. But, as you say, I got over that," he explained.