[lbo-talk] Cloward-Piven strategy for single payer?

Sean Andrews cultstud76 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 22:30:10 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 14:50, Chris Maisano <cgmaisano at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Back in the 60s, Richard Cloward and Frances Fox-Piven formulated a strategy for winning a guaranteed national income that sought to get everyone that was eligible for welfare on the rolls - see the Wikipedia page for how they thought it would work: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloward%E2%80%93Piven_strategy.

When I read this, I hadn't realized how central Cloward and Piven are to the current set of right wingers--or to their conspiracy theories about what has happened to 'merika. But here's a little taste...

http://www.alternet.org/story/146164/how_a_77_year-old_visionary_author_became_the_target_of_a_far-ranging_right-wing_conspiracy_theory?page=1

The story at the link gives some background to where she fits into the overall rhetorical delusions of the current movement (and in actual US history) as well as describing a recent incident where an operative disguised himself as a curious student and videotaped and interview with her in hopes of getting some juicy, ACORN scandal type material. Really despicable stuff.